Author Topic: Frequency Help Needed  (Read 101 times)

December 04, 2017, 09:32:15 PM
Read 101 times

steve-kn4ifq

• Information Offline
  • Chatter Box
  • CARS
Frequency Help Needed
« on: December 04, 2017, 09:32:15 PM »
I have passed my General exam.  Thanks to Richard and the others that took the time to make my exam possible.

Now I have one HT coming and will order my Base radio soon.  I have downloaded CHIRP and have started learning how to use it.

My novice question is what frequencies should I program into my radios?  I think they should include popular radio to radio talk and of course the repeaters I can reach in the Lake City area.  My guess is, this is quite a few frequencies.

Many novices must ask this question.  Is there a list to be found someplace?

Thanks,  Steve

December 07, 2017, 07:00:20 AM
Reply #1

jon-km4eon

• Information Offline
  • Motor Mouth
  • Administrator
Re: Frequency Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 07:00:20 AM »
Hi, Steve, Good to see you on here. On the HOME PAGE there are two lists of freqs. One is the locals that we often use (CARS FREQ) and the other a list of area NETS. Something you may also want to program into the HT are the local fire/police freqs. Ron-hgy is really good at programming  :)
If you will, take a minuste and complete the application, 2nd box on the left side of the home page.
Welcome!

December 07, 2017, 03:07:11 PM
Reply #2

steve-kn4ifq

• Information Offline
  • Chatter Box
  • CARS
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:07:11 PM »
Hi Jon.  I did what you asked and filled out the application page.  Didn't know I was supposed to do that, thank you.

I am aware of the frequencies on the home page.  I wondered if there was a frequency or frequencies commonly used/monitored to meet other hams or to have in your radio while traveling?  There must be frequencies that are commonly used besides local repeaters?

By the way, I just got a call from the AARL VEC in Connecticut and she told me my call sign.  That was very nice of her.  I now have a General License KN4IFQ.

Thanks,

Steve

December 08, 2017, 09:43:36 AM
Reply #3

jon-km4eon

• Information Offline
  • Motor Mouth
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »
Congrats KN4IFQ  (I have made changes to profile - notice your logon name has changed)
The local freqs we often monitor are the 145.490 and 146.940 - Tuesdays at 7PM is the ragchew on the 490. Thurs 7:45PM is the ARES Net on 940.  The simplex freqs are monitored while traveling but often very quiet. Also, the SARNETFL.com freqs make a good state wide while traveling.
Have you received you HT yet?

December 10, 2017, 12:46:50 PM
Reply #4

steve-kn4ifq

• Information Offline
  • Chatter Box
  • CARS
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 12:46:50 PM »
I received my Kenwood TH-D72A and I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to work it.  Slowly, I am making progress.  I figured out how to use the software to enter frequencies, but can't enter negative offsets yet.  I can also scan, but can't make it stop scanning.  Thank goodness for the factory reset feature.  When I go wrong I just reset the radio.

Monday I get my base station which is a Yaesu FT-991A.  So there will be more mysteries to conquer.

Steve

December 12, 2017, 04:00:27 AM
Reply #5

ron-kd4vjf

• Information Offline
  • Motor Mouth
  • CARS
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 04:00:27 AM »
If not for factory "Hard reset" We'd ALL be in deep water! LOL! glad to see your making such good progress.